What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a small titanium post that can be placed in the upper or lower jaw to serve as a replacement for the root portion of a missing tooth. Because of the biocompatible properties of the titanium, a dental implant fuses with the bone to become a solid anchor for the replacement tooth that goes on top of it (called a dental implant restoration).
Dental implants can be used as a solution for:
- Replacing a single missing tooth
- Replacing multiple missing teeth
- Stabilizing dentures
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have many benefits over other options for replacing missing teeth, like dentures. Some of the benefits of dental implants include:
- A Beautiful Smile – Having a smile that is complete and full of beautiful teeth can work wonders for a person’s self-esteem. Dental implants can give you a smile you are proud to show!
- Speak Easily – Dental implants are secure and won’t slip or slide. Dentures can cause slurring and make it difficult to pronounce certain words. With dental implants, your speech will remain unchanged.
- Eat Whatever You Want – Unlike dentures, dental implants function entirely like your real teeth. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want, and never have to worry about your teeth shifting or coming loose.
- Convenience – You never have to worry about taking your teeth out and putting them back in. They function just like normal teeth, so you don’t have to bother with them.
- Overall Health – Implants are simple to clean. You simply brush and floss as you normally would. The dental implants close gaps in your mouth left from missing teeth, making it harder for bacteria to collect. A healthy mouth means a healthy body!
- Durability – If you take proper care of your implants, you will be able to enjoy them for a lifetime.